Monday, June 21, 2010

First Day of Camp

Whew! First day of camp is over....

No major incidents to speak of (thank god!). There were quite a few problems but nothing big. The programming didn't really work out very well. In the morning we had a bunch of extra time to fill in, and I feel like I used up all my emergency store of games and songs. And it started raining literally right when we were supposed to go outside. Oh, and my club was a major failure because only five kids wanted to do it... ugh.

But other than that, it wasn't bad. I didn't have to fill out any incident or accident reports, which was good. I didn't get super annoyed with any kids either, which was also good, and I only made a couple of them cry (hehe). I really like the people I am working with, Spencer and Courtney, or Mr. Hungry Hungry Hippo and Miss Uno. (I am Miss Domino by the way). Hippo's a big goofball, and Uno is responsible, organized, and does her share. I am glad to be working with them.

There's this one kid who is suuuuper cute, but he's also a Class A clinger. The first time I met him, he randomly came up to me and just stuck his hand up my sleeve all the way to my shoulder. I jumped about a foot in that air and was like "What in the world!?!?" but then that made him cry. So i told him that he had just scared me, and he was like "okay". Then he stuck his hand right back up my sleeve, and we had a long talk about personal bubbles...

We had a few minor incidents of a stolen pencil and a picture being called ugly, and then one kid threw a tantrum when he couldn't play video games (unfortunately there are video games in practically every room).

Haha then I got in trouble for taking yarn that was supposed to be used for "sewing club", but the lady was really nice about it. I have to say, the staff we work with are so far very helpful. Miss Sandi is particularly interesting. She is blunt, no-nonsense lady with a slight southern accent, and she is hilarious (i can't tell if it's on purpose or not, though). Today, one kid shouted out something while she was talking, and she immediately turned to him and said "You are now on my hit list. Watch out."

HA!

Anyways, tomorrow we are going to the aquarium, so we shall see how well it goes. It should go fairly smoothly as long as we are able to keep track of the 40 something kids in our room.... wish me luck!!! I am going to go get some sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a busy first day. What was your club? Hope the acquarium is fun. Kaitlyn, Monica, Cole and Jake got box seats right up in front for the concert. It was 9 hours long, so I think they got their fill of country music!

    ReplyDelete