Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Made it to Japan!!!

For all y'all that don't know, I did actually make it to Japan. I am at Yokosuka Naval Base right now!

Unfortunately, the internet is a tad iffy around here, and this week has been super busy, so I won't be able to go online that much. Maybe I will more once camp starts, which is next week.

This week, we've been working hard. Getting up early everyday (UGH) and working late. It's been a lot of orientation, signing papers, getting ID cards (the sailor getting mine laughed at the picture he took of me), and making posters. We've made it off base twice so far: once to go to the 100 Yen Store (woohoo!) and once to go out to lunch. And from that experience, I can tell you that sushi here is NOTHING like sushi in the states. (Here it's a hunk of raw seafood on a hunk of cold rice).

Yesterday we visited Ikego campgrounds, which is another US base, although it apparently used to be a munitions dump for the Japanese. (They told us that if we found anything looking like an old bomb that we shouldn't touch it. Duh.). It's really pretty there, and we did some paintballing, rock climbing, archery, and hiking (just so we would know what to do when we take the kids there). Unfortunately for me, I won't be going to Ikego, because only the older two groups go there. I have the youngest kids, the first graders, i.e. the cute ones. I met a couple of them yesterday, and they were telling me all about pajama day. I am so excited to get started!

Oh, and poor Aaron finally got his bag today! It was lost in transit, but now it is found! And he also finally got his room (he and Spencer were stuck sleeping on a cot in another guy's room).

Last thing... yesterday I met one of the staff ladies I will be working with, and she is japanese. And I talked to her in japanese!!! Aren't you proud of me??? Then she bowed like three times, so i had to bow back... it was pretty funny.

Anywho, that's it. Hopefully I will be able to write more later. This weekend we will be going on board the Admiral's flagship or something, so that should be fun, and then, camp starts on monday!!!

2 comments:

  1. Word on the sushi Badgley...I felt the same way! Poor Aaron, that sucks! Glad things worked out! I am super excited for you, let me know if I can be your travel guide ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! psssssshhhhhhhh. real sushi is sooooo much better than american sushi. aren't the 100 yen stores amazing!!!!?!?!??!??! :D

    ReplyDelete