Wednesday, July 28, 2010

KETCHUP

Well, since I’ve been super behind on my blog, I’ve decided to ketchup. (I do love ketchup!!!)

Monday of last last week was Miss Mancala’s (Jennifer’s) first day… and it was an interesting one. Overall, the kids weren’t too bad, but imagine Jennifer’s shock after being at a site that was overstaffed and didn’t not have these crazy crazy kids. The poor thing! But she handled it well.

Anyways, so the kids weren’t horrible on Monday… we just had a lot of weird incidents. For instance, as soon as me and Spencer left on our breaks during lunch (usually a calm time of the day), a kid burps in a little girl’s face, and she throws up all over herself. Then Miss Tiffany starts to throw up a little bit, too, and Miss Mancala is dealing with all the screaming grossed-out kids while Miss Uno was dealing with the one covered in throw up. Then, another kids comes up to Miss Uno and tells her that the little guy of the room (the class A clinger) had his pants down and was doing what Spencer calls “the meat spin.” …. Don’t ask…

I have no idea how Miss Uno handled all that, but let me tell you, she got an extra long break that day. But, oh, it wasn’t quite over yet. One girl comes up to me towards the end of the day and says the dreaded words: “Uh, Miss Domino, I had a accident.” Bum bum bum. I asked her what happened and she says she was going to the bathroom, she stood up, and then… “something came out.” I was like “huh?” Well, I went into the bathroom stall with her, and it was exactly like she said. There was poo on the toilet seat and on the ground. Ugh. Then, as we are walking out of the bathroom, Miss Uno is walking down the hallway with a different girl, and tells me that the girl with her had an accident, too. Sure enough, I peek in the other stall, and there is pee all over the floor, and this poor girl had pee all down her pant legs.

Fortunately, this all happened around 5, so we were all off the clock and didn’t have to clean up the messes hehehehe.

That week, we went to the water park called Summerland and it was AWESOME. Best field trip so far!!!

Last week’s Monday was also fun. In the morning, we went to the pool… and we lost a kid. A counselor’s worst fear. Fortunately, Jeremy (our PC/ the big boss) was there and so he witnessed the whole thing. Essentially, one of our relatively good kids forgot his bathing suit for the day and was pretty upset. So when I asked him not to sit where he was sitting (because he really wasn’t supposed to sit there), he got all huffy and stormed off into the boys locker room. Of course, I couldn’t go in there, so I got Mr. Hippo, and he went in there… and couldn’t find the kid. Now, the locker rooms are basically the entrance (and exit) to the pool. So when Mr. Hippo couldn’t find the kid, we both got a little worried. We told Jeremy, and basically Jeremy ran back all the way to the center looking for him while me and Spencer ran around (literally ran) area around the pool looking for him.

It ended up that he had stuffed himself into a locker and shut it completely, so neither Spencer or Jeremy thought to check the closed lockers. It was a big deal, and even though it was well-handled (or so Jeremy claims) we still had to change our pool policy because of it. Ugh.

The next day we went to the train museum… and that day also happened to be my birthday. Unfortunately, the train museum was HORRIBLE. Apparently, the staff that checked it out knew that there wasn’t much for the kids to do there, but allowed it to stay on the list anyway. Joy. And, on top of that, I was getting sick. Thankfully, I hadn’t told anyone it was my birthday and pretty much everyone who already knew forgot, so I could sleep after camp without any disturbances. But, of course, literally an hour before midnight, Jeremy sees me and somehow remembers it was my birthday. He gets this whole big group together in about ten minutes and pulls out this half of chocolate cake from who knows where. I almost made it without anyone saying happy birthday too!!!

On Wednesday, I was home sick from work for most of the day. The normal Camp A policy is that if you are sick enough to stay home, you have to go see a doctor, but the big big boss (our program director, Angie) said it was okay for me to just stay home because apparently going to the doctor here means going to the emergency room. Fun.

I tried to go back to work for part of the day, but I just got a fever again so I had to go home. But that night was a big “social” event called Holiday in summertime. We had to sing Christmas songs and stuff. That’s when they gave us our care packages from home, and when I found out how Jeremy so miraculously remembered my birthday the night before. Apparently, my mom (love you mom!) somehow got him to buy cupcakes for everybody (and yes, mom, before you ask, I already paid him back). The cupcakes were bright neon colors (oh yes, including green!) and they were DELICIOUS. Thanks, mom! =)

And then, even though I was sick, the next two days weren’t too bad. On Thursday, we got to go to the gym since it was a black flag day (meaning we can’t really go outside), and it was a lot of fun. I pretty much ran that because I had a bunch of games I wanted to play. We did some fun exercises, then we played line tag. After that, I made them do the drill from basketball where they have to get in their stance and then slide and do fire feet and stuff. I remembered hating that drill whenever we had to do it, but the kids seemed to love it. And, best of all, it tired them all out!!!

On Friday, the kids got to vote for the one counselor they wanted to cream since again we couldn’t go outside and had to do the creaming indoors. It made my day when they all picked Mr. Hippo. He was all bothered because he wanted them to pie Miss Guess Who (our director, Bre) but she was busy, so she couldn’t.

Oh, and before I forget, one of my quieter kids said today “Shake what your momma gave you!” and I thought it was HILARIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment